How To Know When It’s Re-Striping Time
As seasons come and go, be sure to keep in mind that your establishment’s parking lot and surrounding areas will need re-striping and signage repair jobs. This is crucial in avoiding any confusion and possible accidents inside your parking lot premises. It is also important to always remind your customers as to what comprises the entire parking lot, which areas are reserved for PWD, which places to safely cross, which areas are fire lanes, and so on.
Keeping your parking lots fresh-looking is also essential in making a positive first impression to new customers and random passers-by who might turn into new customers. If you show people that you take care of the exterior surroundings of your establishment, they can be assured that you apply the same conscientiousness with your products and services. This will definitely keep them coming back to your business.
So how do you know when it’s time to re-stripe or repair the signage? Here are the two most important factors to think about:
- The amount of traffic the area receives.
The first important factor to the frequency of your re-striping jobs is the amount of traffic your parking lot or surrounding area gets. Are you a slow shop with a steady pace of 1 to 2 customers per hour? Or are you a fast shop with a heavy turnover rate that can accommodate groups of 10-20 per hour?
Naturally, the busier your area is, the more often you will need to re-stripe. Your striped areas will quickly fade because of all that foot traffic.
On the other hand, if your work area is a small office that receives very little foot traffic, you can assure yourself that your re-striping needs will be much less. If only a number of employees will shuffle back and forth your office, you won’t need to re-stripe as often as a busy supermarket.
- The weather in your store’s location.
The second consideration to know the frequency of your re-striping is the weather or temperature in your location. We know that they use salt to clear the roads from excessive snow during the wintertime. The salt speeds up the fading of the paint and the degradation of other ground signage. This is why colder locations will need to re-stripe more often than those in warmer locations.
However, if you are located in a very hot location such as in the tropics, you should expect that excessive heat would also have a degrading impact on paint.
Lastly, stores and shops located in places with rainy climates will have to deal with a different set of issues. Frequent rain and maybe even flooding will also deal some damage to your paint and surrounding signage.
To help you further, here are common parameters that you can compare your own store’s re-striping needs with:
- Stores with heavy traffic need to be re-striped annually, or once a year.
- The frequency of re-striping also depends on how thick your paint is. A normal two-coat stripe will probably last a year, while thicker coats can possibly last longer if traffic is not heavy.
- If you are exposed to the elements, you might need to consider re-striping more often.
- Try driving up to your store as if you were seeing it for the first time. Make an honest assessment of the first impression your store gives you.
- The rule of thumb is to re-stripe as soon as your area looks like it needs a retouch. Don’t wait for paint to fade even more. The less you have to re-stripe, the more money you save.
If you’ve taken a look at your commercial space and surrounding areas and have decided that you do need a fresh coat of paint, get in touch with IC Striping. We provide a full range of professional striping services fit for any budget. Call us at 1-877-361-4400 and request for a quote!